Nobody likes a pest in the house, the little creepy crawly boogers can overrun your household before you know it. There are many home remedies that you can use very simply to rid your home of pests. Keeping it simple is always better, safer than harsh chemicals.
This awesome infographic by PartSelect.com shows how to start your DIY pest control at home.
Starting at the source -
- Wipe down counters with vinegar and water
- Fix leaky faucets- insects are attracted to the water
- Transfer dry goods (cereals, flour, rice etc) to sealed containers or jars
- Rinse your recycles- jars, cans etc
- Use a trash can with a lid (I spray some essential oils in mine to deter pests and help with odor)
- Make sure your drains are clean from leftovers- pour baking soda and vinegar down the drain (cool homeschool science project) and then after 5 min. rinse with boiling hot water to clean.
- Removing excess food particles and sources of food for the pests can send them packing in search for other food.
DIY Home remedies for pests
- To eliminate ant traffic, sprinkle coffee grounds around windows and doors
- For Ants mix 1 cup of Borax with 1 cup of sugar. Pour mix into small jars, poke holes in the jar lids. The sweet smell of the sugar will lure in the ants and dead they will be.
- Spiders can be kept at bay by combining equal parts vinegar and water, then spraying the mixture over the places the spiders are entering. Peppermint oil works well too.
- Fight fruit flies with apple cider vinegar! The sweet smell of the vinegar will attract the flies. Place a couple tablespoons of vinegar in a cup, cover the top with plastic wrap and poke holes in the plastic.
- Repel cockroaches with beer- pour into saucers and place on floor or in cabinets etc.
- DIY cleaning all purpose cleaning, mix plain castile soap with a few drops each of peppermint and lemon essential oils, add water. Put in a spray bottle and use anywhere you need a clean fresh scent with great cleaning properties.
- Keep bugs out with Essential Oils, check out the infographic for all the great uses of oils and which ones to use.
Keeping bugs from biting you and the kids:
- Whip up your own insect repellent with essential oils of rosemary, clove, eucalyptus, cinnamon, lavender, and mint. Add witch hazel and water, mix together in a spray bottle. Great smelling and bugs don't like it.
- Try TerraShield- repellent blend by Doterra ( my favorite blend for working in my yard)
Before reaching for the toxic cleaning and bug repellent chemicals, try to make something more health, family and earth friendly. Keep it simple, it works so much better. Mother nature has some great ideas you know....
Until next time, God bless you and your home
HERE to order and start living a much healthier lifestyle.