This great video shows you how to make a lap-book (thank you to The Homeschool Club)
The following article credit: lynnhsmomof2.blogspot.com/
Lapbooks are a great educational tool that are very popular with homeschoolers and are gaining in popularity with classroom teachers. A lapbook helps a child learn about the subject and it is something they can look back on to refresh their memory later about the subject. This article is to teach you how to make a simple lapbook.
Step 1: Choose a subject to use. The subject you're doing your lapbook on should be broad enough to have many sub- categories, but not too broad that the subject goes on forever. The category "animals" may be too broad, but "animal classification" or "horses" would be ideal. The category "history" wouldn't be so good, but "pirates" or "pioneers" would be great. Just make sure the category is broad enough that you can have at least 8-10 sub- categories.
Step 2: After you choose the subject, choose mini books and printables to go along with the subject. Don't overwhelm your student by doing to many mini books in one day. Your student may need a lot of your help, especially if they are younger. Store the mini books that have been completed in a large plastic baggie ( I use the 2 gallon size) until you have them all done. You can check out this page if you need help finding resources for your lapbook: Lapbook Resources
Step 3: After you have finished the study and the mini books and printables are complete, you are ready to assemble the lapbook. Take a file folder and open it up so you are looking at the inside of it holding it so its width is longer than its height. Fold the outside edge inward so that the edge is touching the middle and crease the fold. Then do this to the other side so that both of the sides are now in the middle and the file folder opens like a shutter from the middle.
Step 4: Arrange the mini books on the inside of the file folder (now a lapbook) so they all fit on. Glue them into the lapbook only after you have the arrangement that you want.
Step 5: Decorate the front. There are many ways to decorate, some of my favorite ways are to use die cuts, stickers, coloring pages, or have your student draw on the front.
Your lapbook is now done. Your child will probably enjoy looking back over it and remembering all that they have learned.
- Kidinfo.com - Your Guide to Native American Histories and Native American Facts
- Quality Sites that contain information about Native Americans, First Nations of Canada, Native Americans Important to History, Documents Important to Native Americans, Native American Historical Events, Native American Legends,Native American Treaties, Native American Arts and Crafts, and Important
Things you can add to your lapbook.1. Clipart- Its good idea to have a good source of clip. Not only is it great for lapbooking, but it can be used in other homeschool projects too.
3. Scrapbook Paper
4. Mini Books
5. Die Cuts
6. Coloring Pages
Native American Worksheets
- Printable Native American Tribes Alphabetical Order Worksheet | Native American Heritage Month Worksheets
- Interactive printable Native American tribes worksheet. Place the names of Native American tribes alphabetical order. This activity can be done online or printed out.
- Printable Native American Word Search | Native American Heritage Month Worksheets
- Printable Native American word search worksheets - learn vocabulary words associated with Native American Heritage Month.
Native American Printables and Lapbooks
- Native American Lapbook Resources
- Printable mini books that can be used for any American Indian tribe.
- Printable Indian Paperdolls
- These Indian boy and girl cutouts will be fun for children to dress up in different Indian clothes. There is coastal, desert, plains, and woodland clothing to choose from.
- Free Squanto Lapbook | Albright News
- Free lapbook printables about Squanto.
- Native American Lapbook Achejeman Juaneno Indians -Homeschool Bin
- Native American/ American Indian lapbook
- Coloring pages Native Americans - Free, printable, realistic. Coloring book pictures, sheets.
- Coloring pages Native Americans. Free realistic colouring pictures. Educational coloring sheets to print and download. Coloring book pictures. Online coloring pages.
- Native Americans - Dynamic 2 Moms
- Free units/lapbooks and notebooks for homeschoolers. Scroll down for lapbook pages.
- If You Lived With the Iroquois Lapbook
- Lapbook for the book If You Lived With the Iroquois
- D'Aulaire Pocahontas Lapbook
- Lapbook for Pocahontas
- Native Americans - Dynamic 2 Moms
- Free units/lapbooks and notebooks for homeschoolers.
Native American Coloring BooksColoring pages can add a lot of interest to your Native American Lapbook. Coloring pages can also be a good teaching tool.
Native American Indian Tipi Coloring Page
- Here are some more resources for your lap-books~
Lapbook Booklet TemplatesLap-booking templates are really great lap-booking resources. With a lap-booking template you can add so much to your lapbooks. These are blank lap-booking templates for you and your child/ students to fill in. They can be used in a variety of ways and for multiple projects.
- Homeschool Share
- Lots of blank booklets.
- Lapbook Template Pack
- Basic lapbooking template pack that can be printed out for any lapbook subject.
- Notebooking Pages
- Free templates
- Lapbooking Needs
- Thatresourcesite.com - Free learning resources for homeschoolers - Free Lapbooks, lapbook templates, and more.
- Minibook Master Template Download « Practical Pages
- Lapbooking templates
- Minibook Master Template - Lapbook Lessons
- When I create new minibooks or a lapbook, I use my Minibook Master Template with all my favorite minibooks and my handy lapbook planner. You may have to join the site to see this.
- Enjoy making lapbooks with your kiddos and be creative!